Search This Blog

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Mardi Blah

It's wacky. It's festive. It's steeped in tradition.
It's MARDI GRAS 
(er, Mardi Gras Saturday really - Mardi Gras is Tuesday)
This is Texarkana's third Mardi Gras parade and the area was packed. I like to see that! The parade, which is supposed to be the highlight of the day was kind of lame - but hey, we got to eat some awesome gumbo, fried pork... stuff... and we got to have a nice family outing.

We've all be sick for about a month. We're just spreading the same germs around and it's driving me nuts. I've been running a mild fever for a couple days, I'm coughing up bits of lung but I was more than ready to get out the darn house. Can't keep me from Mardi Gras!

Texarkana Mardi Gras

Texarkana Mardi Gras

GUMBO! GUMBO! GUMBO! GUMBO! GUMBO! GUMBO! GUMBO! GUMBO! GUMBO! GUMBO! GUMBO! GUMBO! GUMBO! GUMBO! GUMBO! GUMBO! 
What's gumbo you ask? It's a cajun stew I guess you could call it? It's crawfish in some kind of brown stuff, served over rice. You can add anything to your gumbo - traditionally shrimp, andouille, alligator (chicken if you've no gator) and crab.

Texarkana Mardi Gras

I think I'm in the wrong line of business. I wanna blow bubbles for a living!


Does this outfit look familiar?
Since I decided to pass on participating in the parade I loaned out my costuming to a good friend who was walking with the rest of the faire folk. Isn't she adorable??
Texarkana Mardi Gras

 Isn't this lamé gown awesome? She made it herself. Ruff, hat and all.She's one of my gypsies at the faire and a very, very loyal faire supporter.
Texarkana Mardi Gras

 The dress below is also handmade. The lady below is a professional seamstress and sells costumes at the faire. She makes all her own stuff and wedding gowns and all sorts of awesomeness. 
Texarkana Mardi Gras


Texarkana Mardi Gras

Texarkana Mardi Gras


Texarkana Mardi Gras

Texarkana Mardi Gras

 I got to catch up with the rest of the crew. Isn't it weird seeing me with the guys wearing street clothes?
Texarkana Mardi Gras

Why did I pass on the parade? Well me and my husband were going to sign up for a ballroom dancing workshop (true) but we realized at the last minute it was scheduled for the same day as the parade. We REALLY wanted to do the dance class but I got pretty irritated that a city organization would schedule something like that DURING a major event also hosted by the city. So it was kind of my way of boycotting the workshop I guess.
This town isn't big enough for event competition. We all need to work together and when I see stuff like that, I see red. 


I didn't walk with the faire group because well, I'm sick and also I wanted to actually SEE a parade, not be in it. This was the second parade of got to watch and not participate in since I was a little girl. I've been in parades all my life! 
Cray!

Oh, and here's my face... and a Mardi Gras headband I bought for Cedar but thought it would look better on me.


Did you do anything for Mardi Gras this Saturday? Got any plans for Tuesday?




9 comments:

  1. You look cute in that headband. And the girl who got to wear your costume was lucky.

    I like Mardi Gras; went to Nawlins for it several years ago; the Saints had just won the Superbowl and the place was rockin. Next Wednesday we're going to our favorite restaurant for a Mardi Gras party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore your headband.

    We of course don't celebrate Mardi Gras this far north but it looks like fun. When we were in New Orleans I stopped and bought some costumes. They had some really awesome ones like your friends here.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh Hollie. You always look so cute. I think it looks like a great parade! Beads were thrown. Gumbo was consumed. Sounds like Mardi Gras. I think you should run for mayor. You would make over that town to be the bubble blowing, festival throwing, parade going town that it needs to be. I'd sure as hell vote for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nope no plans. Although my husband has informed me he wants to learn how to cook! So, wish me luck with that.

    And GET WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Being sick sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaah....that's too bad about the ballroom dance class. That was pretty stupid to schedule the same day as the parade! But hey, you made a great choice, coz the parade looked great. I loved loved loved all the costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That headband looks fantastic on you, I'm glad you pinched it.
    Splendid costumes.
    Here in the drab Uk we just have Shrove Tuesday when we're supposed to eat the contents of our pantries by making pancakes before fasting for Lent. Our cupboard is always bare and we're Athiests so nothing happening here! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fantastic parade - glad you could watch and enjoy it! The hair ribbon is YOU!

    We have no plans for Mardi Gras, or the Lunar New Year. Wow, big week cosmically. Laissez les bons temps rouler!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a good time! Since my husband, our son and I are still sink with some sort of funk so we are so staying in the house. Oh well. We have partaked of King cake... So it is all good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a good time! Since my husband, our son and I are still sink with some sort of funk so we are so staying in the house. Oh well. We have partaked of King cake... So it is all good. :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't by shy, you dirty little stalker you. Leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...