Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

blackstrap molasses for pregnancy health and er... constipation

What is blackstrap molasses? Well, it is a thick, dark, yucky syrup that's good for you. The end.
Well as defined by Wikipedia:

"Blackstrap molasses, or simply blackstrap, is the dark, viscous molasses remaining after maximum extraction of sugar from raw sugar cane.... it contains significant amounts of vitamin B6 and minerals, including calcium, magnesium, iron, and manganese; one tablespoon provides up to 20% of the recommended daily value of each of those nutrients. Blackstrap is also a good source of potassium."
See? I was right. Blackstrap molasses is what gives baked beans their distinctive flavor. It's used in all sorts of dishes... I just don't want to know what they are at the moment.
Like many pregnant women, a blood test I recently took showed that I am anemic. Mmm.... and all this time I thought it was normal for a pregnant woman to sleep twelve hours a day. My midwife recommended I take blackstrap molasses to help bring my iron up. I knew I had heard of it before- mostly in books about healthy and natural pregnancies- but I never really took the time to find out what else you can use it for.
Later on  in the day after taking my first "dose" of blackstrap I found out.
That stuff is like Drano for your colon.
Now, if you're pregnant and reading this then you're probably dealing with some... pooping issues- maybe even some iron deficiency problems as well. Get yourself some blackstrap molasses. I'm not sure if you can find it at regular grocery stores. I just picked up some while I was at our local health food store.
Just a warning.... it's not tasty but you will get used to it. Even though it's just a food (not a medicine) be sure to talk to your doctor or midwife before you start taking it. I'm not a medical professional so I can't recommend this treatment for everyone. I'm only making a suggestion.
Here's how I take it:
I pour about four tablespoons into a cup. Four tablespoons equals 80% of your daily value of iron. Then I dilute it with a little water (not much! That's just more you'll have to drink!) Then I chug and chase it down with something to eat or a drink of juice, soda or a sip of coffee.



3 comments:

  1. This seems like a terrible experience...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, did taking this amount increase your blood sugar or cause yeast infections? I am pregnant and plan on using this to treat anemia. I intend to start with 2 tbsp and increase accordingly.

    ReplyDelete

Don't by shy, you dirty little stalker you. Leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...